Friday 26 October 2018

Swatch

Today was my longest Seawatch of the year. Surely I would see a Pomarine Skua...as reports came in from various sites along the coast?

Nope!!!

None for me. I should have gone to Specsavers! My long vision is 20/20 apparently but I just couldn't see any. Maybe birds take a line from Spurn Point to Flamborough (and vice versa)...who knows...but they don't seem to pass Holmpton close enough for me to see them?

Galling. 126 South past Spurn today!!! I did see one dark falcon like shape way out to sea that turned out to be just that...a Peregrine!

I resign myself to taking what I get...I have to! Makes my sightings...special lol! I reckon I put in 6 hours on and off throughout the day in "favourable" conditions. On a positive note I added Pintail to my Holmpton list (162). I also had a single Goldeneye (P.167, H120), 3 Red-breasted Mergansers (P.168, H.121) and a Great Northern Diver (P.169, H.122)...all South. The highlight though was seeing flocks of Fieldfares arriving low over the sea. A fantastic spectacle and no mean effort. I could see them through the scope at least a mile out and followed them as they drove over the beach and inland. One group of 15 flew right over my head after peeling up the cliff.

I managed a token record shot but this doesn't do the occasion justice at all...


I WILL try again tomorrow!

No comments: