Monday 22 October 2018

Late Results

One of the many
fascinations of our wonderful hobby is its unpredictability.

After a slow morning and a lazy lunch with Louise, news of a Long-eared Owl down the road tempted me into action.

I had a good look around the Visitor Centre bushes but there was no sign of the Owl nor anyone looking?

I made my way up onto the Canal Bank and continued to scan. A few Redwings were present but still no sign of the Owl. I asked a passing couple if they'd seen the bird. They weren't aware of its presence and soon moved on.

Then a shout..."An Owl!"

I turned to see...."An Owl" flying across the road towards "Numpties". One should never presume but I was hoping it was a LEO.

Fortunately the bird lingered long enough for me to get a pic. The afternoon sunshine helped...

(P.164, S.126)

So, from nothing, to maybe a bush sighting, to a flight view in the sunshine. Wonderful!

I stayed till just before dusk, talking to Spurn regulars Bob and Alice, then headed for With' Tesco to get some provisions. I pulled up in my usual spot. As I was about to get out of the car I noticed a flock of large birds heading towards me. My initial thought was a skein of the local Greylags off to roost. A second look in the gathering gloom...they're weren't Geese...they were Swans!

15 Whooper Swans

BIG moment. I'd invested a significant amount of time trying to connect with this species on passage this Autumn, then I fluke some! I'll take it though.
I followed them South and they obliged by flying over Holmpton with a full moon as a backdrop, giving me my Village Lifer (161).

MAGIC!

No comments: