Saturday 15 September 2018

The Wild Geese - finally arrive for me!

Back to the sewage this morning for the dog walk. I managed to increase the Wheatear count to three. We took our time as he likes a rest these days...


Around 9.30 a remarkable event took place. I'm used to seeing hirundines migrating along the coast, although I freely admit to being a token vis-migger"! As I was approaching the car after our constitutional I suddenly noticed a "cloud" of birds. There were literally hundreds of House Martins with some Swallows in tight groups moving South. A remarkable sight! It was all over in a couple of minutes but definitely memorable.

I then sat in the car with my fingers crossed hoping to get my "fix" of Wild Geese. Pink-footed Geese (H.110) are very vocal birds in flight and can be heard at considerable distance...which obviously helps locate them especially when they are out over the sea. It was now 9.55...I could hear them...then  could SEE them!!


Out of the haze they came from the North, way out to sea (c1 mile). Constantly calling...


10.01...a second skein...at a similar distance...


10.11...a third...thankfully slightly closer...


A fabulous, evocative sight of Autumn. I have a great admiration for these resilient birds. I counted 111.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful but I was very satisfied with my sightings...

No comments: