Monday 16 July 2018

Lightning does strike twice!

My word, a week since my last post...I'm slipping!

No particular reason although Footy and Gardening have kicked in big-style lately. I do have OTHER interests you know!

Summer doldrums prevail BUT Rare birds can turn up anytime, admittedly the odds are not great. I was just finishing my shift on Friday when things kicked off...

6.51pm MEGA S.Yorks AUDUOIN'S GULL 2s Sheffield at Effingham Street by Norfolk bridge mid evening and showing well.

I was knackered BUT I set off, although time was obviously against me. A Yorkshire tick was in the offing! Another problem was that it was in the middle of a City I'm unfamiliar with. I reached Burstwick when I received another message informing me it had flown off. This happens quite often...only for the bird to be reported again soon after. However nothing happened for a while so I aborted as it was now clear I wouldn't make it and I headed home. Of course it was reported again later. The last sighting was at 8.17pm when it "flew off" again.

Now then what to do?  I'm afraid to report that my ASAP policy wasn't adhered to on this occasion...and it cost me dear!!! I left my phone on (no pager at the moment) and I decided it could wake me up if the bird was seen in the morning. The thought of getting up at 2am to be driving around Sheffield pre-dawn was too much for a tired body/mind. Wimp!

Sure enough I woke to an alert at 5.07am informing me the bird had been seen at Norfolk Bridge at 4.30am and on a nearby roof at 5. I sorted myself out and headed for Sheffield...a bit miffed.

I put the postcode in my Google maps app and sped down the M18. I ended up in the middle of a built up area? t took me another 20 minutes to find the right spot...which could have cost me anyway if I'd tried to get there pre-dawn I guess. I parked up and joined the impressive number of Birders from Yorkshire and beyond. The morning rolled on with no sign of the bird but some entertaining conversations were had which helped ease the misery. It was good to see so many familiar faces.  gave it until around one then headed home. The bird hasn't been seen since. An amazing record and a great reward for a "local patcher".

The afternoon was spent watching the World Cup Final. France won with the aid of some dubious decisions BUT Croatia played the Football.

So to the evening. As I was fading another message, this time in the form of a tweet (it is useful sometimes) from Spurn...

8.21pm MEGA Adult Greater Sand Plover on beach North of Beacon Ponds

Amazing! 2 in a day...and both in Yorkshire!!!

It didn't take me long to get down there and fortunately this time the bird was still there, albeit distant in the fading light. I got my Yorkshire tick after all (387). It was also my 304th for Spurn.

I paid the bird another visit on Sunday afternoon and got lucky as the bird was feeding on the beach not forty yards away, totally unconcerned by the beach lovers.

A few snaps...




It's funny how things turn out sometimes. VERY unpredictable you might say. I guess that's what makes it interesting...

No comments: