Wednesday 23 May 2018

Times gone by....

No Birds?

That's what I know. A message from Gavin yesterday informed me of a possible Turtle Dove site near Ottringham. I did check it out and gave it an hour before heading for Duff but I didn't hear or see anything in a strong North-east wind.

So, this morning I returned for another go. I parked up and as soon as I opened the door I could hear a wonderful sound of summer's gone by...the purr of the Turtle Dove (P.114). It didn't seem far away, although sound travel can be deceptive. There was a lot of thick vegetation by the old railway line but fortunately it had chosen a prominent perch...



Great to SEE this declining bird so close to home. Big thanks to Gavin. It soon flew from it's perched and although I heard it again several times I didn't get another view in the following hour.

After lunch I was tempted down to Kilnsea to try for the Temminck's Stints (P.115, S.84) that had been reported this morning. The cold NE wind was still blowing strong as I made my way towards the hide. I passed a Birder who informed me that birds had been showing well but had just flown off down the scape! I walked down to the screen and scanned. The wind was directly into my face and after sticking it out for 5 minutes I made my way back towards the hide. I looked through both screens but couldn't see anything. The hide is very small and I could hear several voices. One conversation included the word..."stint". That was my cue to enter. Fortunately a chap had his scope trained on the birds and asked if I'd like to take a look!! Handy...

Keeping company with an Avocet and Dunlin
Seeing this species took me back to the eighties (sad but true) when I saw 4 birds on my first trip to Spurn. I think it was May 87.

I'd contacted Richard Boon earlier and he texted me mid-afternoon to take me up on my offer to show him the site. Again as we arrived the bird was singing from the aerial! After he departed I stayed until 5pm. I did see the bird again distantly (c100yds)...

This image came out remarkably well!
...but it never returned to the aerial.

A good day...

No comments: