Wednesday 2 May 2018

SNOWY OWL

A change of plan took place.

Initially I spent some time in the Village but the singing Whitethroat on the cliff was all I could muster. I then got a text off Richard informing me he'd seen a Pied Flycatcher (H.72) and a Ring Ouzel in the field behind his back garden. I asked if I could take a peep and he answered in the affirmative.

My luck was in. Within 10 minutes I'd seen both birds!




I thanked Richard and then headed for NDC.

I'd not been there long, although long enough to convince myself the pair of Garganey had departed. A message...

11.53 SNOWY OWL 1st winter female Frampton Marsh RSPB near Tabb's Head late morning

Having missed the bird earlier due to my Cyprus trip I thought I'd give it a go as I could be at Frampton in under 2 hours. I took the A1/A17 route and thankfully avoided any jams. Now for the walk. I'm increasing my distances but this was going to be a tester! Still, I had a target...a BIG 1.

I had to walk around the perimeter of the reserve as I had my friend with me...surprise, surprise! The reserve looked a picture...


Avocets everywhere!

Onward...


I was heading for the trees to the right!

After negotiating a couple of fair-sized herds of cattle (they don't like Bud) I arrived at the viewing point. I wasn't expecting crippling views...and I didn't get them. She was sat out on the saltmarsh at around 400yds. At least it was still there....

Naked eye perspective
I gave it an hour (mainly to recover!!!). She had a few stretches but stayed in the same spot...


My Pedometer informed me I'd covered 7.2 miles and it felt like it. Worth it though. Just glad I can walk that far again.

My previous experiences with this species are...

Wainfleet, Lincs - January 1991

Barrow, Alaska - August 2007. At least 20 birds seen on the tundra.

St Mary's, Isles of Scilly - October 2008

No comments: