Friday 11 May 2018

Quality at NDC

The morning walk to the cliff proved fruitful this morning when I heard the seven note call of a Whimbrel (H.73). Despite extensive scanning I couldn't get a view of the bird down below.

After my Gym sesh I took Bud to Out Newton hoping for my first Swift...it wasn't to be. This is definitely the latest I've been "without one" on my year list?

Off to Duff. News of a singing CORNCRAKE in front of the Geoff Smith Hide added a little spice to the journey. No joy on my first sit but I did spot a male Garganey (72) briefly in front of Garganey hide! I didn't see it again.

After walking down to GH I was really chuffed to add a spectacular species to the year list. A speeding Hobby (73). Really pleased to grab an image...of sorts!


At last I added my first Swifts (74). I reckon there were around 50 over the reserve. Always great to welcome back this iconic species. Definitely an indicator of a late Spring! A grounded Whooper Swan has been sadly left behind but it seemed perfectly happy with its commoner cousins...


It was also great to see the once rare Little Egret on the reserve. It fitted perfectly...



Another stint n the GSH failed to produce any evidence of a Crex Crex. It was nice to see a pair of Mute Swans working in perfect harmony as they finished off their nest...


A stray Red-legged Partridge (75) on the path on my way back to the car was a bonus.

No comments: