Friday 18 May 2018

Earning a Cuckoo

If I'm going to the Gym is has to be...EARLY. The two man reasons are...1. I don't really realize I'm there and...2. I don't want to be thinking about going later.

I was back home by 9. I sorted some domestic issues out and then it was time to take on the car. More exercise...and it saves a fiver!

Around 9.40 I heard it...the Cuckoo (H.74) was close. I grabbed my gear from the house and drove down Taylor Lane in my half washed car. Richard was talking to a neighbour so I let him know...assuming he hadn't heard it!? Of course when  reached the cliff it was singing much farther away to the North. A quick turn round and back down the lane and onto Seaside lane. As I approached the end I could see the bird characteristically wobbling on a wire. I slowed up and angled the car for a pic but it flew off South and wasn't seen (or heard) again.

The up side was that if I hadn't been cleaning the car I would have missed it. Hard work paid off!

.......................................................................................

The SONG SPARROW is still on Fair Isle but more elusive today. A couple of chaps have taken the long route. Driving to Aberdeen, then flying to Shetland followed by an afternoon flight onto the island. They should be on the island as I write. A massive effort which deserves success. Here's hoping they connect...

No comments: