Saturday 5 May 2018

Cherry Picking

I've brought my Mother back for a few days and it's fortunately coincided with some glorious sunshine! As we made our way along Snakey we had fabulous views of a local Corn Bunting...


Very fortunate to have this declining species breeding locally.

Yesterday afternoon a report of another declining species, a Wood Warbler (P.107, S.79) had me heading down to Sammy's Point. Who was Sammy? On the way I came across a male Marsh Harrier at Out Newton...


Bud and I had a walk down Sammy's. A couple of circuits revealed a fall of Wheatears (c20)...


and Whitethroats (c10). No sign of the main target though. A few other searchers were milling around and after around 20 minutes a shout went up that the bird had been re-located. Over the next hour I managed to enjoy great views of this distinctive Phyllosc...




This afternoon I cherry-picked again with a brief sorte down to Kilnsea Wetlands/ Beacon Ponds. Richard Boon was in the car park with the same intentions. We had a pleasant stroll and connected with both targets quickly...

Sleeping Drake Scaup (P.108, S.80)
Drake Goosander (P.109, S.81)

No comments: