Tuesday 29 May 2018

A Golden Day!

Firstly a bit about Sunday. I had a few hours out locally with Phil, after lunch with Louise. After meeting him in Kilnsea Wetlands car park we decided to try for the Turtle Dove near Ottringham. After around 20 minutes we heard the bird strike up with strong purring. It was close. After another short wait we were treated to an explosion from the bush. It landed briefly opposite in the shadows of a conifer before disappearing...


Next it was time to try for Whimbrel on the Humber. We tried Skeffling which was teeming with birds on the fast incoming tide. Still lots of dapper Grey Plovers about. Having added Turtle Dove to his year list we didn't have any luck with Whimbrel here. I mentoned to Phil that I'd seen 10 at Sammy's Point a few days ago. It was getting late in the Spring but maybe with this crazy weather there may still be some lingering birds?

Within a couple of minutes of leaving the car we could hear the unmistakable sound of Whimbrel! Yet, we couldn't see them. Then there they were, flying straight towards us...

Just caught 2 of 4!
After dropping him off back at the car park, we parted ways, I headed home while Phil tried for the Marsh Warbler at the Warren.

.........................................................................................

This morning started with a super-optimistic local search for a Rose-coloured Starling. Needless to say I was unsuccessful...but I tried! As I was approaching Sammy's Point I could see a birder walking along the road towards me. I only realised after I'd passed him that it was John McLoughlin. I also didn't know that he'd just seen a Golden Oriole!!!  then received the news and saw a decent group gathering along the road. I decided to take Bud down the Humber shore and wait for developments. I had a brief scan for the female Red-backed Shrike but no joy there.

We did the loop around the bushes and I had a more determined look for the Shrike on my return but I couldn't find it. I did see a Spotted Fly'...


...and a VERY late Fieldfare..


News came through that a/or another Golden Oriole had been seen near the Warren, so I made my way towards Kilnsea. The fog was pretty thick at this stage and as I reached the gate I could see a few Birders on the Canal Bank. There were more in the hide apparently. I decided to pass and headed home for lunch with Louise.

Around 2pm I headed back for another go. As I made my way along the canal path from the Crown and Anchor I passed a birder who informed me that the GO had just flown towards the Church. After chewing it over for a few minutes I decided to try the Churchyard as he also told me it had been singing! It was still a BIG surprise that I could hear the bird singing clearly as I reached the churchyard. A rare treat indeed! I couldn't SEE it though so I tried the Kew viewing area were I was joined by another Birder. Just as he arrived the bird flew over our heads towards the Crown and Anchor...excellent! When we entered the C&A car park John was there and he told us they thought they'd seen it flying over but had lost it behind the Pub. I apologized for driving past him earlier and we had a brief chat before he re-joined his mates. It was good to see him again.

Having heard the bird singing and enjoyed great flight views I was hoping to get a decent view of the bird perched. Never satisfied!

I returned to the canal path but the bird didn't return In the next hour so I headed back to Sammy's to try again for the RBS. John had given me a tip regarding the best area to look. It paid off...

P.116, S.85
Yep...back to the triangle for one last go. It was now gone 4 but the fog had lifted, albeit slightly. I joined a couple of other hopefuls and then saw Steve Webb purposefully walking towards me. He continued on to the Churchyard and we said we'd contact each other if either of us had a further sighting. I then decided to try further along the path, leaving the other two chatting. I then saw a shape through the mist in the distance perched on a small bush. It looked VERY promising...

P.117, S.86
The above image is more conclusive than my initial view. I then beckoned to the other chaps and gave Steve a ring. My radio had died so I asked him to put the news out of this latest sighting. I managed to get slightly closer by using a bush as a shield...


Obviously the conditions didn't help but to be honest I was just glad to see it perched...

 
The bird then flew further down the path but was still viewable in a distant bush. We all managed to get a view before the bird flew right across the triangle and back towards the Church.
 
It took me 19 years to get Golden Oriole on my Yorkshire list, so I like to think I fully appreciate EVERY sighting of this elusive and scarce bird that I get. I gave it another hour but I didn't see it again. I did have a good chat with Gordon Beck. I'd heard the name before but this was the first time we'd met. We put the world to rights, then headed home...
 



No comments: