Wednesday 25 April 2018

Holmpton Ring Ouzel!

After doing this and that, I decided to have a wander down to the cliff. Expectations weren't high...they never are...as then, you won't be disappointed...right!?

It was a pleasant temperature with a light westerly wind. I scanned the horse paddocks. The high water table has left the ground soft which s great for feeding thrushes. Mistle Thrush is always a notable sighting in the Village and a fine underrated bird to boot...


Plenty of Blackbirds present (c10) and I counted 4 Song Thrushes. Maybe there would be a late Fieldfare or Redwing? I circled the area and found my first Whitethroat (P.100, H.69) of the year.
Another scan of the paddock. The local girls arrived to tend the horses which obviously flushed the birds. However within 5 minutes they had resumed feeding and there was an addition...

Ring Ouzel (H.70)
I texted Richard and Gavin. I then decided to move to the other side of the paddock to get the sun behind me. Fortunately the bird remained in view enabling me to get some better photos...


Really chuffed to "find my own" in the Village. A precious sighting. Low expectation but high satisfaction...


Richard arrived but the bird was flushed by the girls again. It flew high over the bushes calling and wasn't relocated.

No comments: