Friday 6 April 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 13

BIG Day out east...with a 5am start. I'd been looking forward to a FULL day after the cycle race disaster.

Pervolia was the first port of call. It brought back many memories from our winter visit a few years ago. I'd been given directions by Jane Stylianou and I found the area of farmland without much bother.

Calandra Lark was the target bird here. Distant flight views were obtained but to be honest I was disappointed with the visit. However I DID get a massive bonus when I saw this grey ghost flying low across the fields...

Male Pallid Harrier
A superb species...


Fabulous to get such stunning views.

Eleven Avocets on Menou Pools on the way back to the motorway was an unexpected bonus...


No sign of any Stone Curlews in the usual spot.

So, onto Cape Greco. It was quiet...very quiet. No guarantees at migrant "hotspots". The wind was in the East but no-one had told the birds! Entertainment was provided in spades by a pair of migrant Hoopoes...


They kept their distance but eventually one gave itself away...


Another stunner!

...........................................................................................

News of 1/2 Firecrests around Beacon Ponds pricked my ears up this morning. So, after lunch  left my friend at home and had a stroll down a waterlogged Beacon Lane. No sign in an hour at site 1 (north end of the lane). The wind was increasing and I must admit I considered giving site 2 a miss! Glad I didn't...


It took me 90 minutes to get a 60 second view. It was constantly moving low in the bushes so I was pleased to get this image of this jewel of a bird.

2 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Pallid harrier sure is a stunner Alan..keep well

Alan Whitehead said...

Superb bird Paul.