Thursday 5 April 2018

Brief interlude

Forecast lived up to it's billing, which made my decision to visit Duff a good one...well maybe?


As you can see... significant flooding. An impressive sight but a disaster for potential breeders. That's the way it is here... totally at the mercy of the elements.

No sign of any BN Grebes (plenty of Little) or Garganey. The only migrants seen were Chiffchaff (4).

A few small flocks of Ducks remained including 3 Pochard. No Whoopers in evidence.

I had 6 Buzzards in the air at one time. A large female Sparrowhawk zoomed past the Geoff Smith hide.

I also met Lucy, one of the English Nature staff. She'd come down to Garganey hide to open the windows in case of flood. Hopefully this won't happen, especially after they've just repaired it! My latest check of the river level at Bubwith revealed it was thankfully dropping.

Just as I was thinking of leaving a car pulled in to the car park. I wasn't paying much attention as I was talking to my friend! I then noticed the personalised number plate. My hunch was correct, it was Barry Bishop. Nice to see you pal!

As I approached the village on my return I noticed a pair of Shelduck in a flooded field. Great to see but alas only temporary. If only there was more habitat...if only!

A Barn Owl was also noted.

More on Cyprus tomorrow...

No comments: