Thursday 26 April 2018

A two-pronged attack

I woke to a message informing me a Nuthatch had been seen by Mick Turton in his Easington garden. Another potential Spurn area tick! I arrived to find Richard Boon already in place with a cuppa. I joined him and Mick and waited...and waited. I gave it a good do but alas it wasn't to be. Maybe next time? However I did have some luck as this beauty sailed over Mick's garden...

Red Kite (P.101, S.69)
I spent the afternoon down in the Kilnsea Wetlands/Beacon Ponds area. A calling Cuckoo (P.102, S.70) was a good start as I stepped out of the car. I headed for the hide. Rick Swales was in position. He told me he'd had a good look around but hadn't seen it. We had a reminisce about how certain species occurrence patterns had changed over the years eg Buzzard, Little Egret and Avocet. Next a scan from the blind...

Greenshank (P.103, S71)
I then made my way up to Holderness field but still no sign of the "swallow". Onto Beacon Ponds...a wader hopped along the waters edge...

Common Sandpiper (P.104, S.72)
I gave it a good hour checking all the swallows but the star never appeared. On my return I checked the screen again. Glad I did...

Curlew Sandpiper (P.105, S.73) One of two present.
The whole area is now starting to look a picture as it greens up. Much promise of some great days to come.

A Red-legged Partridge (S.74) on the way home finished off a cracking day...    
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

No comments: