Sunday 25 February 2018

Got it!

I'd braved the elements with Bud this morning but I'd had enough by lunchtime and was bedding in for an extended Footy afternoon.

The first match between Crystal Palace and Spurs wasn't a thriller but I was hoping for better things with Man U and Chelsea.

1.35 N.Yorks Iceland Gull juv North Duffield Carrs

Nah! Cup Final to follow as well...

Be fun to try though...for an NDC tick! Oh...go on then. A clean run through Hull had me making good progress and I arrived in the car park at 2.50. Quite a few cars but a few were just leaving. I did wonder if any of the local birders would be present and maybe..."on it"? The Geoff Smith hide was empty but I settled in for a good scan...with my bins. Yes...I hadn't brought my scope...tut tut. I wanted to add a bit of spice to the visit, truth is I initially I forgot it then decided to carry on anyway!

There were plenty of larger gulls present, some opposite the hide but most were distant in the north-west corner. After around 30 minutes I had a walk down to Garganey hide. There were a few people present but I found a seat and started to search again. Would it be possible to pick it out at distance with my trusty 8x trinnies?

Apparently so...




It was disturbed a few times but thankfully remained for the duration of my visit.


Finally, I've added Iceland Gull (154) to my NDC list...after 31 years!!! I guess you could say it was ...overdue. Many thanks to Duncan Bye for the message to back up the pager.
 
Pleased I abandoned the Footy...

.....................................................................................

Phil managed to connect with the ROSS'S GULL yesterday lunchtime. It was seen briefly first thing at Lodmoor RSPB then disappeared. I got a pager message at 11.35 saying it had reappeared at Radipole Lake RSPB. I let Phil know and he managed to make it before it flew off yet again!

He sent me this video...



Love to see it myself but...

No comments: