Friday 5 January 2018

GWT Salvation

After yesterdays rather gloomy post...although it still makes perfect sense to me...today was a brighter day, if only metaphorically. The knee box was looking a bit angry, so a quick call to London advised that I let the local Doc' take a look. Luckily Louise had the morning off and after a bit of cajoling I secured a 10.20am appointment. Much obliged!

As I was shoe-horning myself into the Volvo I spotted a marvellous male Bullfinch sat motionless in the hedge. VERY uplifting on yet another horrendous day. A Great Spotted Woodpecker then zoomed overhead. More good news.

All went well after excellent advise...I'm not the greatest with medical matters...especially tablets.

Then a message...Green-winged Teal drk at Kilnsea Wetlands. A potential Spurn tick! I gave Louise "the look". After grabbing my bins and scope we made our way down the road. As I was hobbling to the hide I bumped into John Hewitt. After the usual pleasantries and a short chat about my ill-fated plane escapade, he reckoned I'd be better off trying from the now redundant boatyard at Easington. That suited me fine in my present state.

As I made my way out to view I noticed a birder all wrapped up against the elements. It was Paul French. He informed me the bird was still present in a reasonably small raft of Wigeon and (Eurasian) Teal. Within 10 minutes I was looking at a vertical stripe, my 301st species for the Spurn area.

Just the tonic I needed...

No comments: