Friday 15 December 2017

Frozen out

The LDV proved hard work today as a hard freeze had disrupted the wildfowl somewhat! A good hours walk up the Derwent from Bubwith produced very little. I did see an unusual sight though, fast disappearing north in the early morning light...

Black Swan

I bumped into it again further up the river. It seemed quite at home with a family group of Mutes...


I spent the rest of the morning trying (and failing) to locate the Whooper herd. I did locate some Dunlin (30) and Ruff (4) at Ellerton.

After lunch I had an hour at NDC. There were some Whoopers present (18) but they were very distant...


Around 2 I decided to head back to beat the Friday madness in Hull.

I detoured through Stone Creek and found an impressive flock of Fieldfares around 3.30. It was virtually dark by now but I feel it's worth posting a few images to illustrate the spectacle...



Great to see such a large gathering...easily a thousand birds present...


Shouldn't be taken for granted...

No comments: