Saturday 18 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 9

A quieter day today spent visiting some local sites.

We started at the National Butterfly Centre south of Mission. My target was going to be the wonderful Audubon's Oriole but the $20 admission fee put paid to that! We moved down the road to Bentsen...


I birded around the visitor centre until lunch at 1...


Guess who's in the pink!
...but it was very quiet. I did find an Altamira Oriole...nest!


Best bird was Buff-bellied Hummer.

We stayed till around 2 then headed the short distance to Anzalduas Country Park. A Zone-tailed Hawk had been reported in the area and I reckon I may have seen one gliding away around 4.30...but I couldn't be sure. Frustrating. One day I'll get a pic? Last visit  had a few warblers in the live oaks...but not today...


 I spent some time down by the lake...


I had decent views of a fly catching Say's Phoebe.

We were the only people in the park...except for the Police and Border Patrol! Guess we felt pretty safe.

Tomorrow were heading west up the Valley to try a few sites by the Rio Grande including Salinino were I hope to finally connect with an Audubon's Oriole.

Trip List 100

Stay Tuned...


No comments: