Wednesday 15 November 2017

Texas 17 -Day 5/6

Time to slooooooooooow down!

We're now settled in the Birding paradise that is the Rio Grande Valley. On reflection I bit off more than we could chew regarding distances. Louise did mention it!




Everything is on the up now...well nearly. I FINALLY managed to connect with my suitcase at McAllen airport. I like my orange Columbia shirt but this was pushing it a bit.

Anyway...the birds.

Sunday morning along the west side of the Davis Mnts has to be one of my best Birding experiences...period. Activity from dawn right through till 11am in golden grassland...

The boss having a stretch

I must have seen double figure Northern Harriers including at least 6 around the iconic rail crossing...



Things got even better when  spotted a raptor that looked different on a telegraph pole...

Prairie Falcon
My best view by a country mile. A stunning bird. We retraced our route a few times in the hope of another Golden Eagle sighting. I think I can safely say we were successful...




Unfortunately the bird was into the sun but the whole experience was magical. A Golden Eagle sat low in a bush some 50 yds away!!!


Then it was gone into the heat haze...


After lunch n Fort Davis we headed for the I10 via Lake Balmorhea. The Clarke's Grebes were there in force...


I also managed a couple of Western in a brief scan before dusk. It was then time for the long drive to Kerrville.

Monday was a travel day to Mission with no Birding done. I did see a few things on the way and a brief rest stop added Crested Caracara to the trip list...



Today (Tuesday) after hopefully ending the teething problems we spent the afternoon at Estero Llano Grande. An enjoyable and relaxing three hours were spent around the viewing platform and tropical zone were I managed to connect with the Tropical Parula...




I'd tried to get a view of an Altamira Oriole many times on my last visit and all I managed was a couple of distant brief views. Today one landed in a dead tree right above my head as I watched the TP...


Trip total...83

Brownsville dump tomorrow! Louise can't wait.

Stay tuned...

No comments: