Thursday 23 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 14

Today I started at “Sparrow road” north of La Joya, a new location for me. I found the site rather frustrating as there was no access to the habitat and limited opportunities to pull off the road. The target was Pyrrhuloxia, a Cardinal look-a-like…but different!?  Managed some decent sightings of a Crested Caracara but couldn’t locate the main quarry.

I really yesterday on SPI spending time with some quality egrets and Herons. A couple more pics...
 
Tricolored Heron
 
There was a nice Hawk seen as well. It came into the feeding station on Sheepshead (yes that’s a street name)…
 
 
...it reminded me of when I used to have to go round to the butchers as a lad to get one for Trixie our German Shepherd. I thought everyone did it!!! I tried the six streets that are supposed to be protected for migrants but alas this is the only one that remains now. However some maintenance and improvement is in evidence…
 
 
Here’s an example of what can be seen in May…
 
 
Not bad!!!
 
The Coopers Hawk gave a stunning show eventually bathing under the trees...



I was in full view at the fence but the bird was totally unconcerned by my presence. Amazing!

A calling Osprey hovered overhead...


I spent the last hour back at the Convention centre. The light was superb, giving great views of the birds present…
 
 
It's "only" a Mottled Duck!
 
Just thought I'd add a few images to give a flavour of the day.
 
This afternoon I left Louise at the house and headed for Progresso grain silo. Another one of my favourites (yes I know I said it last year) is usually present here. A stunning bird but very shy. Not like the tens of thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds, Cowbirds and Grackles!
 
 
Getting a view through the bins can be achieved eventually, with patience. I found a cluster of adults hiding under a wood pile...
 
 
I arrived at 3 and had around 90 minutes to try and get a pic. It was a challenge with a constant passage of giant trucks flushing the birds constantly. Coupled with the sun getting lower my chances looked slim. I tried all the usual tactics. By 4.15 I'd just about given up when a large group of birds landed on the fence nearby. One bird was yellow...but one was enough...
 
 
REALLY pleased with this image as I feel it gives the essence of this special bird in the late afternoon glow.
 
Trip Total 139
 
Stay tuned...
 
 




 





 





 


























No comments: