Sunday 19 November 2017

Texas 17 - Day 10

Today Louise hit the McAllen Mall...I didn't! I dropped her off at 11 and headed just down the road to Quinta Matzalan. As you can see from the link it's one of 9 sites that make up the modestly named "World Birding Centre"! The standard and specification of these reserves is superb.

A speciality bird of this reserve is the Clay-coloured Thrush. A very quiet and secretive species that spends it's time in deep cover. It has a subtle plumage that's still very attractive. It took me around 45 minutes to find one then another 30 to get any sort of image. Two birds lingered in the deep cover...




I was hoping to connect with another Tropical Parula and/or my favourite Black and White Warbler. Neither were seen but I did see my first Plain Chachalacas...


They had obviously come for a drink. I don't blame them, it was 93F! Another RGV special which is unbelievably noisy at dawn but quiet and unobtrusive during the day.

As I reached the car I saw a movement under a bush, as you do. It was a Thrasher...


...that duly disappeared. I got in the car (turned the A/C on) and waited...and waited. After about 15 minutes I had an idea, I get them now and again. I opened my phone case and tapped my Ibird Pro App. This app has enhanced my ABA birding immeasurably. I played a short blast of song and within 5 seconds I had 2 Curve-billed Thrashers and a Northern Mockingbird in full view, wondering were the sound was coming from!

Who said that?

Just a great bird...



I am determined to connect with a Zone-tailed Hawk. Three sightings between the National Butterfly centre and Anzalduas park had me spending the last three hours of daylight scanning the Turkey Vultures. Still no luck.

An enjoyable afternoon.

We're heading west tomorrow to Salineno.

Stay tuned...

Oh, I nearly forgot. I finally managed a close encounter with the charismatic Great Kiskadee...

What a beauty!
Trip total 114

No comments: