Friday 29 September 2017

Ticking over

SYKES WARBLER reported late last night, present near John-o'groats! Fair drive that (did it once for the first twitchable PALLID HARRIER in 1995 on Orkney) and a less than scintillating species!! Still a tick though for yours truly. I WASN'T tempted.

Signed off for another 2 weeks due to continuing rib and neck issues. Frustrating! Bud still struggling BUT fighting hard.

Reflecting on my eventual Holmpton YBW, it makes it even more special to me, the more that get reported!?

Cracking ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK on my beloved Scilly (re-located 2.25). Brings back vivid memories of the 2007 bird on the same island. We were relaxing in Carreg Dhu gardens St Mary's mid-afternoon on October 23rd when the MEGA alert sounded. It's a good walk to the quay but I was faster then. We boarded the hastily arranged vessel and headed for St Agnes with a anticipating boatful. On arrival I was one of the first up the ramp, accompanied by an equally keen young lad. He turned to me and enquired "do you work out"? I replied "about 20 years ago!" It was Dan Pointon. It was also the twitch of my unfortunate incident with Richard Bonser.

Ah well...water under the bridge...

Scilly ain't what it used to be???

No comments: