Tuesday 16 May 2017

BBA 3

A strange series of events...

I had the same shift yesterday and today.

Yesterday...after doing the morning school run to Hornsea (nice kids) I returned home, took Bud a walk then put my feet up. I checked my notifications (modern term)...a text...

11.58 East Yorks MEGA BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS Bempton Cliffs RSPB

After picking myself up off the carpet I checked the Pager...nothing? I rang Tony Dixon...nothing? I rang RBA...nothing? Very odd!

Fast forward to today....

I heard my phone while I was in the reading room! When I looked it was from Trev at Flamboro'! Surely not...

12.59 East Yorks MEGA BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS flew NW past Bempton Cliffs RSPB

Maybe yesterday was an omen!

I arrived around 2. I made my way to the cliff and immediately spotted Trev at one of the watch points. It was good to see him. He told me the story and it sounded like the sighting was gen. He didn't see it but was happy the observer was competent.

Garry Taylor was also present. We were also joined by Phil Botterill and Ian ? from York. We spent all afternoon waiting in hope...it didn't appear.

Now then. It wasn't seen at Filey? I wonder. Could it possibly be on the cliffs? This second sighting definitely gives hope as the bird is obviously lingering in the area (granted it could be a large area).

I shall try again tomorrow...

No comments: