Friday 10 February 2017

York (2)

Having lived and worked in the York area for 26 years I guess you could say I've got an affinity with the area! So it's no hardship to return...and there's Duff of course. A second visit in a week is pushing it a bit I admit but a return trip to the Dentist was required...unfortunately.
 
I set off later from home after a much needed lie in brought on by a long shift yesterday. After some male target shopping (the only type) at Timberland I arrived at the Dentist at noon. Out by 1 and then some lunch at Rufforth to see if anything interesting was showing. There was a very impressive congregation of large gulls in the first field off the by-pass so I gave them my full attention. Nothing stood out in 30 minutes. I was going to try the lay-by further down but changed my mind as Bud needed a walk. So I did a U-turn and headed for Dunnington.
 
I walked him down the footpath to the stubble field were I saw the bird earlier in the week. Today it was completely devoid of birds! Still we got some exercise. As I returned to the car I could see around half-a-dozen birders stood in the paddock. They didn't seem focused and it was starting to snow again so I wimped out and headed for the car. It was 2.30 now (no dental pun intended) and I fancied another crack at the Gulls. I checked the first group again from the car with my bins. There were still a few snow flurries and visibility was poor.
 
Scan, scan, scan...nothing. There must have been over a thousand Gulls in the field. A quick break then more scanning. Now where did that come from...
 
 
Not the smallest bird and pretty distinctive. Fortunately it was right at the front of the flock although still a good distance away. A fine bird. I feel this is a different individual than the my previous sighting. Definitely a "whiter" bird although still a first winter I believe. Collins states that birds become faded as spring approaches. Maybe it was born earlier! lol.
 
Over the next hour the bird commuted between the two fields and was fairly easy to pick out among the multitude. Good fun...
 
 
The light was poor but it was great to see...
 
 
 
 
 
The flock left at 3.35 and headed SW...
 
 
 
 

No comments: