Wednesday 8 February 2017

Out and about

I started to write yesterday's account last night but it didn't happen. I knew I'd be marooned in Hull today while the old V70 is at the doctors. So I'm writing this from the Starbucks wind tunnel in St Stephen's shopping mall.
 
The day started early at 6am as I was keen to get through Hull before the gridlock developed. I managed it and was at NDC by 8...
 
 
Always nice to return to the old stomping ground, although it has mixed memories for me.
 
I couldn't see any Whoopers or Pintail. The most noteworthy count was 56 Dunlin, mixed in with the Lapwings (c400). I left at 9.30 for the Dental check up (my reason for visiting the area). After the good news of no work being required I gave Bud a stretch and contemplated where to go.
 
I'd run out of excuses not to try for the PINE BUNTING so I drove the 8 miles from Strensall to Dunnington. I know the area very well having lived just down the road in Wilberfoss for 14 years in another life. However, I still managed to make it difficult to find the site! Eventually I found a couple of chaps stood in a field looking interested...
 
 
They said a few more birders had headed down the lane to check out some more stubble fields. As I turned to look I could see someone waving at us. We joined him and headed back down the lane. He waited with us for a while then drifted off. It had all gone quiet. We then noticed 2 more chaps in the distance...
 
 
They joined us and we waited. A small flock landed in the far hedge. It was still very dull and I didn't have my scope but I used my camera to view the birds. There it was!!! Amazing really and VERY fortunate. I'll take it though...
 
 
Photographs are just a bonus for me. SEEING the bird is obviously the key criteria! My good fortune was emphasised when c250 birds rose up high into the air a moment later. I know from reading various accounts on-line that this bird can be a sod to see, so I hope I appreciated my luck on this occasion. I was only there 40 minutes. 5 minutes after my sighting the sun came out...ah well.
 
What next then?
 
I was going to spend the rest of the day at NDC. Then a message...
 
N.Yorks Smew drake Ripon on Canal Pool
 
I DO like a "White Nun". As you're probably aware I saw one on Hornsea Mere but you can't have too much of this bird so off I went. I wasn't sure where the sight was but I was willing to give it a go. It took me 50 minutes to reach Ripon and with the help of my new "device" I found a car park by the canal. Another Birder and his wife were just heading down the towpath...a good sign. I could see from my phone that there were some pools a short distance south so off we strolled.
 
Lovely spot
We reached the first pool and I started to scan. It was an impressive site with plenty of sawbills present and an impressive reedbed at the rear. It was a long, relatively narrow stretch of water and there were a number of blinds located along it's length.
 
As I looked down to the south I thought I had it but wasn't sure so I move further down the path. There it was...asleep...
 
 
I had plenty of time so I sat on the bench and waited. The other couple joined me. The chap had a scope and he started scanning the pool and reeds..."BITTERN"!
 
A tough spot...
 
 
To be fair he had seen it walk along the reeds to this position. It then flew abut 20 yds further down...too quick for me unfortunately. Still, a great surprise and sighting indeed. I moved down the path to try and get a better view figuring the Smew wasn't going anywhere (foolish assumption!).
 
 
It's been quite a while since I've seen this species. A BIG bonus!
 
Back to the Smew...hopefully? It was still there and still asleep, so I waited some more. It was now 3pm but the sun was still shining on the pool...fortunately. I spent a very relaxing hour watching this superb bird until the sun disappeared...
 
 
 
A fine pair...
 
 
...and a great day...
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Remind me not to speak to you: pine bung took me 5 hrs in 2 trips, and both times it was bleedin' feeezin'.

Alan Whitehead said...

I'm not always that fortunate!

Unknown said...

It was a nail biter for me - first, would the fog lift, then it showed very briefly twice and was seen by everyone but me! Got it third time tho - and that was the best view.