Monday 30 January 2017

Local

I started down Seaside Lane this morning while the "girls" were getting ready. It proved to be a fruitful 30 minutes as I scored with Greylag Goose (H.51)...
 
 
Long-tailed Tit (P.82, H.52) and a close encounter with a Buzzard...
 
 
This species has (thankfully) become a much more common sight in the area over recent times. To see one so close to the house was a special treat.
 
The ladies eventually joined me! We made our way down to Welwick to have a walk along the Humber. It was overcast but dry with no wind. Some birders were already in place hoping for a glimpse of the PALLID HARRIER. Never to be underestimated that there's such a quality bird so close!
 
Se made our way to the west bank of the marsh and started to make our way to the Humber. My Mother is struggling a bit on her legs these days but she managed it...a real trooper at 85! A familiar noise...Geese...
 
 
Brents to be precise. They settled in the field to the west of the Marsh at around 150yds...
 
 
As I was with my non-birding family I didn't want to spoil the walk...if you get my drift. I was "allowed" a brief scan with the Trinnies.  There are hundreds of Brent Geese in the estuary throughout the winter and they obviously commute between sites. I'd seen the BLACK BRANT a few days ago as already posted. I wonder(ed)...
 
 
Chuffed to have found and photographed it under the circumstances...even though I say so myself!
 
It was high tide...
 
 
On our return I had another peep...
 
 
Fortunately it had moved to the front of the group...
 
 
 
Dapper.
 
After lunch I had to get some provisions. On the way to Tesco I noticed a white blob in the stubble by the sewage...
 
 
 
Again on my return with the "viddles" it was still present, right by the road...
 
 
Common(ish) down the road but still noteworthy here.
 
After dropping things off I returned to Welwick for the last hour. I've seen the PH many times now but it would be nice to have a decent pic. I didn't get one but I did find the bird ranging over the fields North of the bank. It was very close but by the time I could get sorted it had drifted off as per usual...
 
 
I will return...
 
 

No comments: