Saturday 10 December 2016

Norther!

Things have got a little fresh as an icy blast has ripped down the continent. It's like being back at home...at least for a couple of days!
 
Louise understandably (and wisely) stayed inside while yours truly headed for the Progresso grain silos...as you do...
 
The scene at 7.22am
Not a bird in sight. Maybe they have more sense!
 
Then a black mass in the distance...
 
 
 
That livened up a cold dark dawn. One red-winged didn't make it...a Merlin saw to that...
 
 
They were everywhere...
 
 
...could I find what I was looking for? Eventually I did...
 
Yellow-headed Blackbird
I only saw 2 birds in the hour I was there.
 
Another trip tick was Bronzed Cowbird...
 
 
Those House Sparrows get everywhere!
 
Another through the fence shows the red eye and blue sheen on the wings better...
 
 
Didn't see many so I was pleased to pick them out of the mass.
 
The weather just got worse so it was back to the Mall for the boss while I braved my favourite reserve as it had a hide/shelter...
 
 
I'll return on a better day but there's always something to see here. I had a good chat with the bird guide who's name I've forgotten. He told me a Tropical Parula and Black-throated Gray Warbler had been seen this morning. Also there was a Pauraque roosting on the path (he gave me excellent directions). None were seen, which wasn't that surprising in the driving, cold rain. I gave it 3 hours.
Nice Spanish Moss though...
 
 
I did add Least Grebe...
  
 
 The Pauraque spot was studied hard...but I couldn't see it...can you?
 
 
I eventually retired to the hide which had a strange design...
 
 
As I was driving back to McAllen to pick Louise up from the Mall I had an idea, bird related as always! A site in Hildago has Monk Parakeets so I gave it a go as she was happy in the Mall. A helpful lady in the visitor centre sent me in the right direction. Her quote was "you can't miss the nests"...she was right...
 
 
I saw around half-a-dozen nests in the fading light...
 
Monk Parakeet
 

No comments: