Sunday 11 December 2016

Learning...hopefully?

This morning I joined the bird walk at Santa Ana led by Mark and Joanie Hubinger. I'd met John a couple of days previously when he gave me the information on the Warblers and Pauraque...which I failed to see.
 
I arrived a little later than planned at 8.10am. I did see a nice White-tailed Kite on the 907 approach road in the early morning light...
 
 
The entrance to my favourite reserve...
 
 
I spent ten minutes around the visitor centre then joined the group for the walk. We introduced ourselves. There was a chap from Sweden and a lady who also seemed to be from Europe plus a couple of birders from Denver, Colorado. Mark and Joanie led the way onto this superb reserve. The low temperatures were a blessing to be honest as everytime I've been here in the past I've been toasted! The wind had dropped and there was no rain so things looked good.
 
We saw a few of the common birds on the way to the Pauraque roost site. if you remember I failed miserably to see it on Thursday. With our guides help we were soon all enjoying great views of this master of camouflage...
 
 
I was pleased with the way this shot came out considering the very poor light. Take some finding? We passed the spot where the Least Grebes hung out, there where good numbers present of this south Texas species...
 

A pair of distant Harris's Hawks watched on...
 
 
 Many Cave Swallows and a few Tree were also noted.
 
We then reached the area were the mixed flock of warblers had been frequenting. After around 15 minutes we started seeing birds...moving VERY quickly! I eventually had great views of the Black-throated Gray Warbler which was very pleasing indeed. A smart bird. We also saw a nice Pine Warbler and fleeting glimpses of the bizarrely named Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet!
 
There was then much conjecture over a pair of Kingbirds that were observed distantly. A Couch's and a Couch's/Tropical was the verdict. On the way back along the path to the hide we reached an area that was good for Olive Sparrow. We all looked carefully through the understory and eventually birds were seen. This is an elusive species so I was glad to get some decent images, again in poor light...
 
Back colour
 
Head pattern
Flushed with that success we moved out onto the pools. On the way we heard then saw (very distantly) a pair of Altamira Orioles (my first sighting of the trip)...
 
way off at c200 yds
As we approached the pools we had another pair, closer but difficult to see well through the brush...
 
 
A stunning bird.
 
We had some excellent sightings at the pools including the elusive Marsh and Sedge Wren. Rails were also seen.
 
Sora...
 
 
...and a more elusive Virginia...
 
 
So, a great morning. I decided to head back to the Motel at 11.30. I said goodbye to Mark and thanked him for the help and information. I hope I remember some of his tips!
 
On the way out an American Kestrel co-operated...
 

After lunch we visited the impressive Quinta Mazatlan site. A mansion that was now part of the World Birding Centre complex. very impressive and it occupied Louise...
 
 
 
...while I scored with my trip Clay-coloured Thrush (formerly Robin)...
 
 
With the help of a knowledgeable lady in the office I was able to see 2 birds well if dimly in the understory.
 
My final port of call for the day was a return to the McAllen Nature Park for another try for the Audubon's Oriole. I gave it 90 minutes but no luck. I did have another sighting of the Denver birders in the car park!
 
A Curve-billed Thrasher was nice...
 
 
Another great Texas day. Warming up from tomorrow. We have 4 more days in the Valley.
 
Stay tuned...
 

No comments: