Thursday 29 December 2016

BRT2 and a good winter walk

Some excellent information and opinion in patches on Birdforum today regarding this occurrence. The site has a mixed membership...but there are some excellent contributions from some experienced Birders. There has been some debate over the age of this bird...things leaning now towards an adult.
 
The more important question is it's origin. We have THREE wintering thrushes in Britain at the moment. Two definitely from Asia and maybe the BRT? Some of the Asian populations are more migratory...it seems. I'm trying to convince myself!
 
Some previous rare winter thrushes have turned up in urban locations...i.e. NEUMANN'S THRUSH, male 1990 at Woodford Green, London. It was my first (reasonably) long distance twitch. Wish I'd have made the GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER the year before!!! Ah well...
 
................................................................................
 
Made the most of a glorious, clear winter's day. Love the high pressure...when it's not foggy!
 
BIG sky
I needed a good walk after all the indulgence and this was the perfect remedy. I was soon seeing some decent stuff.
 
Pinkfeet (28) disappearing over the Humber...
 
 
Then a group of White-fronts (10) in the flooded stubble...
 
 
I was going to continue onto Welwick Marsh to look for the PALLID HARRIER but there were a few Birders looking and I spared them an introduction to Bud! A nice view of a Short-eared Owl on my return walk was ample compensation...
 
 
It finally settled on the marsh...
 
 
The overlooked Reed Bunting posed nicely in the fading light...
 
 
The sun disappeared at 3.44pm...days are getting longer...
 

No comments: