Thursday 6 October 2016

If

I was at Bempton today early. Bumped into Phil in the car park. More later if I've got the energy. There'll also be a summary of my Western Isles trip...some time soon.

Below are some thoughts on departure...

I need a refresh on Rudyard Kipling. Not much triumph but PLENTY of disaster this Autumn. No sob story, just the cruel facts…

Minutes from the Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler at Spurn. Two trips to West Scotland…Oban and the Uists dipping the EASTERN KINGBIRD while a RC Starling lingered in my Village…and to finish things off a BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS past Bempton while the troops were watching the EASTERN-CROWNED WARBLER!!! I’ve seen 2 ECW’s BUT the Albert would have been a British and obviously Yorkshire tick/s.

No stress here…of course?

I write this while waiting for the plane from Barra to Glasgow. Just a note to say that it’s “only” £75 compared to nearly £200 from North Uist! More on the logistics (if you’re interested) when I get home.

After questionable errors already mentioned I feel BAD luck has taken over…and don’t mention “who dares wins” at the moment!!

Balance, balance, balance. I think my scales have broken. Character building stuff. I wouldn’t change a thing, I thrive on disappointment? It would be nice to see something before Winter descends.

I just can’t sit by the pager waiting for “something”. I have to be “out there”…somewhere!

I hope now I’m fully familiar with the Western Isles. I’ve picked up lots of information and contacts which will hopefully allow me to maximise my chances next time…and there WILL be a next time, hopefully this month.

Again, at the risk of repetition, I will hopefully be ready to go and make the correct calls. I aim to continue grilling my Village in the hope of turning up something decent.

Many congrats to Trevor for co-finding the ECW with Dave Aitken. Just reward for many, many hours in the field…proper Birding.

If you’re thinking of going to Scilly this year…GO!!! If you get my drift.

No comments: