Wednesday 12 October 2016

Back on the Beat

Started at Out Newton this morning. Did the cliff area then walked down to Old Hive in a strong Easterly. I staked out the sheltered areas for an hour but could only turn up Goldcrests...not that there's anything wrong with Goldcrests!
 
 
 
...and the resident Tree Sparrows.
 
I then checked out the adjacent Model Farm area. There were good numbers of Redwing present (c40) commuting between the fields and the bushes. They stayed well hidden most of the time...
 
 
Eventually one gave itself away...
 
 
I then saw my first Fieldfare of the Autumn. It was only in view for a few seconds. Then a male Blackcap caught me by surprise, as the pic illustrates...
 
 
After lunch I spent 3 hours walking around the Village. Nope, still no YBW's but as I started to walk down Seaside Lane I spotted a superb male Brambling (H.95) in a nearby tree. I waited for it to re-appear which it eventually did, but again it was frustratingly too quick for me to get a pic.
 
Still, a great find and addition to the Year list.
 
.................................................................................
 
Late news this evening of a PADDYFIELD WARBLER at Flamborough Head. This will be my destination for first light as it's a potential Yorkshire tick!  The track record for this species sticking isn't great BUT if I don't go...and all that...
 

No comments: