Monday 4 April 2016

Texas 16 - Last full day

OK. It's March 28th.

We checked out of our Motel in Galveston and headed once again for the Ferry. Clear skies this morning and an excellent forecast (for what it's worth!).

A few Laughing Gulls following the boat with Galveston in the background...


Once over I detoured left along Frenchtown road again. Would I get lucky with American Oystercatcher today. At least I could SEE!

Oh Yes...



The first bird I saw as I looked over the bay. I could hardly miss it. Really chuffed to see one, a striking species.

Louise kept herself entertained with her favourite Pelicans...


Cracking birds...



A youngster...


We both enjoyed watching them fish at close quarters. The fish don't have a prayer!


Time to move on up the Peninsular...


An hour later we were north of Beaumont in the "Big Thicket" at Edgewater Picnic Area. I wanted to see some American Woodpeckers. 6 species were possible here! I think my chances of Ivory-billed have past!! I took the trail down the bayou (I've always wanted to say that!)...

A beautiful spot
The trail petered out after half-a-mile or so. I slowly made my way back to the car park. I did have a fleeting glimpse of a Northern Flicker but nothing else. There was some terrific habitat however...

Wonderful Bottomland Forest - dreaming of Ivory-billed!
Once back with Louise at the car park she told me she'd heard a tapping noise! Encouraging. I couldn't here anything. We had lunch and then I heard it! Sounded fairly distant and as always hard to pinpoint. The trees were tall, very tall and the cover quite thick. I was determined to locate the bird. Of all the species Red-headed was my main target, although Pileated would do! Which one would this be and would I find out? I strolled around the car park scanning the trees and gaps.

There was one extremely tall (c100 ft) dead tree through a gap in the trees that I'd checked many times. I heard the tapping again. I raised my bins and there it was...here's a sequence...




GOT IT!


Again, really pleased to see this great bird. Thanks eBird

It was now time to head to my favourite migrant spot...Sabine Woods 

Here I am...just one for the record you understand!


I've birded this fantastic migrant trap many times since 2000 and seen an incredible number of birds of many species. Today was quiet but it didn't matter. I was there paying homage and saying thank you. A spiritual place if that doesn't sound too twee?

A fleeting glimpse of a Hooded Warbler in the under storey...


A typical track through the Woods...


Magnificent Live Oaks...


...which have thankfully survived THREE recent Hurricanes and a TWELVE foot tidal surge!!!



They really are something else...especially when they're filled with Warblers!

Lincoln's Sparrow...


The light was poor, a combination of the overcast sky and canopy but the sun did peep through on occasions. Trouble was it produced heavily backlit images unfortunately.

A new arrival! Louisiana Waterthrush with the diagnostic kink in the supercillium...


No kink at this angle BUT still wider behind eye...


Dull and distant but conclusive?


Great to see.


Black and White Warbler from below!


Time to go now as the Mosquitoes came out to play. A great day.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Pam said...

Enjoyed catching up on your last few days, there's some fantastic birds!