Sunday 3 April 2016

Texas 16 - High Island/Anahuac

After leaving Frenchtown road I tried briefly for the "Sand Plovers" at the entrance to Bolivar Flats. No sign as the party revellers cleared up. A Willet adopted a typical pose on a fence post...


As we approached High Island we stopped to enjoy the Brown Pelican spectacle once more...


I wanted to visit Anahuac first then work our way back. The fog had cleared by now and it was another lovely Texas day (75F). On the approach road I saw a bird that could only be one species. She (reddish belly band extending down flanks) wouldn't let me get close but I managed some passable shots...


Punk?
We then tok the nature loop. Louise was hoping to see an Alligator, so was I to be honest. An Eastern Meadowlark posed on a fence post...


A Great Egret showed well...


We then came across this turtle...


Nearest I can get is Red-eared Slider. Again comments welcome.

No sign of the hoped for Alligator yet but I was still picking up trip ticks. These were the only Fulvous Whistling Ducks I came across on the whole trip...


Chuffed to pick these out at 150 yds in the increasing heat haze.

All good but where was that Gator?

Here...

Spotted by Louise
Success, so back to High Island over the intra-coastal Waterway bridge...


Sacred ground...


I had to pay my respects at "the Cathedral"...I sat here for an hour in April 2000 and saw 12 species of Warbler, many species in double figures!!!


Didn't see one today, completely dead! That's Birding and I was early.

Prothonotary Pond...


Time to move onto my favourite High Island site, Smith Oaks. A fabulous natural woodland on the 30 foot high salt dome. Amazing really. This obviously acts as a magnet for tired migrants. Birding heaven...on the right day. I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed! It was great just to see these famous sites again.

Then there's the Rookery...


A superb sight with various Herons, Spoonbills and Egrets. Oh and Alligators...

Deals with predators trying to swim across to get the eggs. Fierce!
...and then there's the snakes...

Cottonmouth
with brave/stupid Common Gallinule...


Roseate Spoonbill...

Pretty from the neck down
Nesting dispute
A truly memorable day.

Stay tuned...

No comments: