Monday 11 April 2016

My ABA list


I first went to the States in 2000. It coincided with the end of my marriage, funnily enough! As I was surplus to requirements I said...sod it...or words to that effect (my Mother reads this).
 
Were to go?
 
I did some reading and it HAD to be Texas. I was teaching then so I was    by the Easter holidays which as you know vary from year to year. Luckily the dates were great...9th - 23rd April. Slap bang in the middle of migration.
 
The first Birder I saw when I walked into Boy Scout Wood at High Island was the late Nick Bell. I'd seen Nick now and again at Spurn but didn't know him that well. We got to know each other well over the next fortnight and he was a great help showing me the sights and helping with ID challenges. A great loss.
 
Since the I've been a further 9 times including my recent visit. I guess I got hooked! I've also travelled on 3 occasions to Florida at Easter. My summer visits have included California and Arizona (3x to both), New York/England, Colorado, Maine, Chicago and the peerless Alaska. I've not counted them up but we must have been to 40 States. So, with that in mind you can see how I've managed to accrue a decent list for a foreigner.
 
Going to the States to bird AND sightsee is "died and gone to heaven" and yet you come back...at least so far!! It ticks all the boxes for me. Great infrastructure, cheap motels, food and petrol, no injections needed, usually low humidity, friendly people and mainly fantastic weather. Oh, and the birds are pretty good as well.
 
I also love the parallel with the UK. The internet means I can follow the bird news from my armchair right up to my departure date, as well as continuing during the trip, with free Wi-Fi everywhere. World Birding isn't for me, I'm happy building lists for places I love. I must admit I/we've developed a love of Cyprus and the Pyrenees as well. Some great bargains to be had these days for short breaks.
 
I am still keen on adding to my British List but I must admit to becoming slightly choosy now I've broken the Magic 500. To this end I won't be leaving the country during April/May or Sept/Oct, at least for the foreseeable future. I haven't ruled out another Easter blast in Texas however. The BELTED KINGFISHER of April 1st 2003 stung me!!
 
All this is of course "pie in the sky" especially with my imminent operation. Nice to dream though, isn't it?
 
16 birds needed to reach my target 700 before I die. Well, there or there abouts depending on how many splits/lumps the ABA come up with in the meantime. Won't be easy and I'm going to have to go Pelagic again, probably off North Carolina in the summer...2017?
 
There we are then. That's my plan!
 
I've dug out a few pics of dubious quality and in no particular order from my travels...click to enlarge as always...
 
AZTEC THRUSH (Code 4), Madera Canyon, Arizona, August 2006...
 
One of three birds present over several days. Very fortunate to be there at the "right time". Only 2 other ABA records since!
 
FERRUGINOUS PYGMY-OWL (Code 3), Bentson, Texas, April 2003...
 
None seen in last few years here after floods
 
Gyr, grey morph (Code 2), Nome, Alaska, August 2007...
 
 
Northern Hawk-Owl (Code 2), Anchorage, Alaska, August 2007...
 
Found on the last day of our three week trip!!!
 
Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Code 4), Sabal Palm, Brownsville, Texas, April 2008...
 
We drove from Houston to the Mexican border for this beauty
Aleutian Tern (Code 2), Barrow, Alaska, August 2007...
 

Black-footed Albatross, Fort Bragg Pelagic, California August 2008...
 
 
Northern Saw-Whet Owl, San Bernardino Mnts, California, August 2009...
 
Found at midnight by the amazing Lance Benner
 
Snowy Owl (Code 2), Barrow, Alaska, August 2007...
 
One of over 20 birds seen on a three mile drive
 Great Gray Owl, Yosemite National Park, California, August 2006...
 
 
The above is my favourite memory from my trips to the States. I found and then watched this magnificent bird hunting Wawona Meadow at 800yd distance for a good 90 minutes. Yosemite is a sky island creating a micro-climate for them to live and breed. Very difficult to find here though so I was elated to connect.
 
Here's to the next one. Good Health...
 
 

1 comment:

Pam said...

Lovely stuff Alan, you've had some fantastic trips and what a list you have! 16 doesn't seem so many does it.......