Tuesday 12 April 2016

Back on the Patch

After the Stateside glamour it was back to good old British Birding today...and nothing wrong with that...except the weather of course!
 
I opened the curtains at 7 to heavy rain. I looked at the forecast on-line which predicted rain all day? I never trust them, so off we went to Snakey lane. On the way I spotted a pair of Red-legged Partridge...
 

 
Shortly afterwards I saw a couple of Stock Doves. I always find these birds very skittish but today I was able to get a decent pic...
 
 
Subtle birds, much overlooked and under-rated IMHO.
 
We arrived at our usual spot and Bud adopted his usual pose...
 
 
 
Yet more quality farmland birds were showing in the poor conditions...
 
Can't recall seeing Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer in the same bush very often
As I was doing the usual ball throwing and his lordship had decided he'd had enough as he jumped back into the car. As I walked round to get in I looked up into the adjacent tree...and saw this wonderful sight...
 
 
 
One of my favourite migrants, A real harbinger of Spring and a yellow beacon on a miserable day. A second bird was present briefly. Another Yellowhammer arrived in the same tree...
 
 
After lunch I decided to have a ride down to Kilnsea Wetlands/Beacon Ponds. Very quiet to be honest with nothing of note seen except 3 pairs of Avocets.
 
News came over the radio that the Black Redstart was still present at Canal Scrape. So I drove down and settled myself in the hide...I love a hide!
 
There was an old chap from Lancashire present. We had a good chat about the "dark side" and after around 20 minutes he picked it up distantly on the far side of the scrape...
 
 
He'd also had a Redstart but I couldn't find it. A smart Heron landed...
 
 
Just before I left a pair of cracking summer plumaged Little Grebes appeared and swam right up close to the hide before flying back to the reeds...
 
 
I also managed my first Swallow.
 
On the way back home I decided to have a quick look on the clifftop. Buoyed by a report of a Pied Fly at South Gare. Now that IS optimism for you!! I briefly admired a weird cloud formation...I had to find some interest...
 
 
That was it then...or was it? As I was putting my gear away I glanced back down the path...there was an extremely streamline shape on the fencepost...
 
male Sparrowhawk
 
Back in the house and the fun wasn't over. Louise shouted through that there was a "funny bird" on the feeders...
 
 
A good day!
 


No comments: