Thursday 24 March 2016

Texas 16 - Whooping it up

A late rise this morning. A much needed lie in after a late arrival at Refugio from McAllen. Today I was hoping to see one of the rarest and definitely the biggest bird in the ABA area. I’d seen them before but my views were far from satisfying. I’d caught the back end of their time in Texas as I’d always visited in April previously. There were always a few stragglers but they were always distant over the saltmarsh and the heat haze was horrendous. Basically a large white blob!

We left Refugio around 10 and arrived at Lamar an hour later. Goose Island S.P. is a great spot. A grid of roads with a mixture of dwellings right on the coast. It was a tad windy to but it mildly but the trees helped lessen the problem.


I’d used the indispensable eBird to target a few locations in the immediate area were the target bird/s had been seen most recently. Louise drove me to each while I navigated. The first couple didn’t produce anything and viewing was oddly limited. Maybe fly-over sightings?

The third site... I hit the jackpot!

I give you the magnificent Whooping Cranes of Texas...


4 adults and a juvenile. Brilliant. Over 50 inches in height! I spent an hour watching them at c200 yards. Just as I was about to leave this happened...


I was hoping I might get a flight view. I did...


Another "right up there" moment in my Birding.

We had another long drive to Galveston coming up so we spent the last couple of hours back at Refugio in Loins/Shelley Park. I saw the Greater Pewee again, almost immediately! Thought I might get lucky with the FLAME-COLOURED TANAGER. although it hadn't been reported since the 17th.
I tried the small loop over the ox-bow which led to the Mission River...


I was hoping for Green Kingfisher. After 20 mins I got a torpedo-like fly-past! Far to quick for me to capture. That's that I though as it or another shot past in the opposite direction!! Great just to SEE.

On returning to meet Louise in the car park I heard a high pitched seeping sound. Waxwings of the Cedar variety...


I estimated c200 high in the tree tops.


I'm sure you can appreciate I haven't got the time to go through all my pics but I hope I'm giving you a flavour of my Texas trip.

I've just checked the rarities and found out that the FCT was seen at 6.45pm last night at Lions-Shelley Park, Refugio...just as I was leaving!!!

That's Birding/Twitching/Chasing. No, I won't be going back! Time for some Warblers now.

Just one more...for now...


Stay tuned...

No comments: