Monday 15 February 2016

Texas 10

Nothing to report locally of late.

Thoughts are now inevitably starting to turn to my beloved Texas. This will be my tenth trip! I make this statement not to brag but to remind myself how fortunate I've been to visit this Birding Mecca so many times. I made 6 trips from 2000 before I got together with Louise in 2006. We've been 3 times, last in 2013. This years trip will be 9th - 30th March. Have to be back for the Op earl April. Thing is I could be laid up for quite a while so I intend to make the most of it!!

Again apologies for repetition in advance.

Birders travel the World with ease these days in search of specific species or mega numbers. I'm happy to have specific areas to enjoy and list build...oh...and to have a great time of course. Texas is my number one venue for Birding in the States.

I've managed to accrue a list of 444 species for Texas. The State list stands at an incredible 642...so plenty still to go at! All my visits have been in Springtime (March/April) but I've been to all parts and believe me it's a BIG State. I think I'll give the Hurricane season a miss! The lack of daylight in winter isn't attractive either BUT I would consider a visit if I could persuade Louise...and...it would be better than here. Fortunately there's always something new to see as well as enjoying the resident species. I also hope to catch the start of the migration.

Below is the eBird Rare Bird Alert for the States 14th Feb...

Barnacle Goose (19 Pennsylvania)
Tufted Duck (1 British Columbia, 3 New York, 2 Newfoundland and Labrador, 2 Vermont, 1 Washington)
American Flamingo (3 Florida)
Brown Booby (3 California, 1 Louisiana)
Northern Jacana (4 Texas)
Ruff (2 California)
Slaty-backed Gull (1 Alaska, 1 Washington)
Ruddy Ground-Dove (1 Arizona)
Aplomado Falcon (2 Texas)
White-throated Thrush (6 Texas)
Rufous-backed Robin (1 Arizona)
Tropical Parula (2 Texas)
White-collared Seedeater (1 Texas)
Crimson-collared Grosbeak (4 Texas)
Blue Bunting (3 Texas)
Streak-backed Oriole (2 Arizona)
Brambling (1 Ohio)


Texas doing well!

That will do for now. I'll post some more detail in the coming weeks...

No comments: