Thursday 25 February 2016

FLYING SCOTSMAN - the inaugural run

Could I get it right?

Where to go?

I narrowed it down to 3 sites. Google Earth is a brilliant resource and helped me decide on these three possible vantage points. Which one though?

I set off around 9 and after battling through Hull I was heading for the A19 along the M62. On the journey I'd already scrapped one of the potential sites! I decided to turn North up the A19. I made a right at Chapel Haddlesey and headed for the railway. I fancied the bridge over the River Aire but it had very high sides so it was rejected. I was also conscious of walking distances. I was heading back under the bridge when I noticed a farm track parallel to the line, so I took it. I reckon it stretched for around half-a-mile. Even better, there was a small tunnel under the line that put me on the "right" side.

The down side was I was looking directly South into the sun. Still it was only 10.30.

Was this the spot then? Looked good with a panoramic view and a raised aspect. Plus, Buddy loved the exercise! I kept thinking of my third site however? The FS was due around 12 so I still had time to choose site 3. The sun was bothering me (not often I say that). I had a decision to make...soon.

I decided to set off for site 3 which was near Asham Bryan. As I left I had a panoramic view of site 2. It was that good I changed my mind, turned around and headed back!!

So that's it. Decision made...eventually.

It was clear but cold. I practiced on the modern versions...


12 came and went. 12.30 still no sign?

Somethings up me thinks?


Helicopters (3) started to circle. Hey up...


TV companies in the know.

Then...there he was...


The site had an extensive view and I reckon it was a good half-a-mile away on this pic. It was probably going in the region of 70mph so I needed to be on my toes...after a good wait. The next image I like as it gives a flavour of the atmosphere...


I reckon I could see at least a hundred people scattered about the area. Times that from London to York!!! This isn't every ones cup of tea (obviously) BUT at least it's a NICE occasion, which makes a refreshing change.

Closer it came...

The classic making the modern wait...too right!


Getting close now and moving...


Hope I don't cock it up?

Here he comes...


I'm liking the dark sky after all!

Whooooosh...it was gone.


It works for me. I don't mind admitting it brought a tear to my eye. A steam train rattling along the railways of Britain is a fine sight indeed...







No comments: