Monday 11 January 2016

Raptors and Owls

After yet another horrendous morning I managed to finally get out around 1. I decided to go down to Kilnsea to see if the Slav Grebe was still present. It was...


I also saw a SEO over Long Bank...


and a Barn Owl distantly along Easington straight...


I bumped into Tim Isherwood and wished him a HNY. He said he'd seen a Black Brant but there were no Brent Geese in view during my visit. I'll catch up with one eventually, they're not going anywhere soon.

So to Skeffling.

I was hoping for some big bird action a little closer to home. They turn up at Stone Creek and Sunk Island so why not Skeffling. Granted it's nearer the mouth of the Humber but still possible. Heavy mist already at 2.30 giving further opportunities for great photos!

As I sat in the car park I (unfortunately belatedly) noticed a decent sized dark shape gliding low west  along the waters edge...Hen Harrier...


I was a bit sick that I didn't pick it up sooner.

I took Bud along the floodbank and he thanked me by flushing an SEO...


Seems like Skeffling can produce.

This was hammered home as I reached the car. It was virtually dark now, however, I noticed a movement travelling low, distantly across the fields...

Male Hen Harrier

Amazed anything like an image appeared. You can just make out the white rump and the dark trailing edge to the underwing.

An excellent afternoon.

No comments: