Friday 15 January 2016

BLACK BRANT

Another Thrush started the day today up at Out Newton...

Song
I gave the sea 30 minutes but saw nothing of note. A passing Redshank was a nice Village year tick.

It was a glorious day. You've got to love a high pressure in Winter. Blue sky and no wind if a bit nippy!

I was hoping this would be the day when I finally caught up with a rare subspecies that was frequenting the area. As I pulled into Kilnsea Wetlands car park I could see a decent number of Brent Geese feeding on the island adjacent to the hide. I wonder?

I made it past the first opening without flushing them. As I approached the hide I could hear the birds. There were a few gaps in the screen but fortune was with me and I made it into the hide. The side window was iced up however! Nothing else for it. I slowly opened the flap and there they were...


I reckoned on around 100 birds in various plumage's. I began to scan through them. There it is...no it's not...yes...no...I had it, now it's disappeared?

The group were feeding actively and constantly changing position. Good fun though.

Eventually, I had it...


Always special and very fortunate to catch it so close on a sunny, clear day...at last!!

A couple more...



Dapper...

No comments: