Monday 23 November 2015

Scarborough

After scoring points with a few jobs around the house this am I decided on a trip north. The tipping point was a video I saw from Stuart Baines showing one in the harbour. It's been quite a while since I had close views of this species rather than a distant spec out at sea (if I'm lucky!).

I arrived around 1.30 and it was VERY gloomy...and cold. Parking was free though!

It's only a small area and I noticed a few other birder/photographers mooching around. No sign of any Little Auks though. Things then picked up when I saw a young Iceland Gull at the far side...


Then a Black-necked Grebe appeared...


I like the angle of this shot...I would say that though, as it was the only decent image I managed in the poor light! The light didn't improve and it was going dark by 3. Still no sign of any Little Auks. I prefer to think it/they moved on after recuperating rather than succumbing to the large gulls.

As I was making my way back to the car I spotted a black and white shape perched on the harbour wall...


Small but not tiny. Still, interesting, so I walked round for a closer look...I didn't get one...


I moved down about 30 yds  to some steps which enabled me to get some sort of (high ISO) image...

Winter plumage Guillimot
Not what I was hoping for but still an interesting sighting considering the location.

No comments: