Sunday 11 October 2015

Scilly 2015 - Day 3...RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL

That's more like it!

The day started admittedly quite late after a great evening in the wonderful Atlantic pub. We made our way up onto the Garrison, Upper Broome Platform to be precise to join the crowd looking for the Arctic Warbler. It would be a Scilly tick! An hour and a half later it wasn't looking good...until the Pager informed me of a RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on St Agnes. More news followed informing us all that a boat would leave at 12.30. I really wanted to give the AW a bit longer but my reduced speed these days meant it was going to take a while to get down to the quay and there was definitely going to be a substantial queue!

We arrived at the newly improved quay to the news that the Arctic Warbler had shown again!Bit of a blow that, slightly softened by the sight of a distant Osprey over Hugh Town...


The trip to St Agnes was very pleasant indeed. Blue skies and little wind...we nearly dropped off again. Must be the fresh air.

My sprinting to see the birds is long gone. I was probably the last there. The crowd was large and the viewing area narrow. Fortunately I'm tall so I could peer over the group and get some sort of view. Some of the first on the scene had connected with the bird as it worked the far side of the bulb field.
There was no luck for us in 30 minutes. The bird had also been seen in the next field and permission to enter had kindly been granted by the landowner. The crowd started to thin and we ended up at the front...but still no sign. Then, there it was back in the near corner of the field, not 30 yards away. It spent most of it's time in the hedge...


...but occasionally showed better near the ground...




This sighting was doubly pleasing as I messed up in 2010 by not going for the St Martin's bird on the first day. Probably due to 7 weeks teaching and driving down late Friday...that's my excuse anyway!
I saw the first really twitchable British record at Winspit Valley, Dorset in 1993. Since then there have been quite a few records BUT it's still an enigmatic species that deserves full respect. My 2015 trip is up and running.

It was time for a Cornish Pasty at the Turks Head (pre-ordered by the good lady). This was our view as we enjoyed lunch. 


I also met Lee Sanders a fellow Yorkshire birder who introduced himself by telling me that he read my blog. Nice to meet you and your good lady Lee.

On returning to St Mary's it was back up onto the Garrison to try again for the Arctic Warbler. There was entertainment in the form of a few Goldcrests lurking in the shadows...


...and then, something a bit more special...a Firecrest...


I also, eventually got great views of the ever elusive Yellow-browed Warbler. Needless to say no pic!

Time was running out to connect with the Arctic but wait...this is Scilly after all...a Dusky Warbler appears in the same area!! I had a great if brief view on it's initial finding followed later (6.30) by a record shot through the gloom...


Today was a great day on these wonderful islands. Here's to tomorrow...

No comments: