Sunday 27 September 2015

S.E.Arizona (14) - Carr Canyon

3/8/2015

It was time to make a trip to Carr Canyon, another top site in the Huachucas. It's one of the few places you can actually drive up to a decent height...7,400 feet!

We stopped for a short break en route at Sonoita and bumped into this Cassin's Sparrow...


Here's one of the fantastic life-like sculptures on the ridge of the Las Cienegas grassland...


We passed through Sierra Vista and soon began to climb the decent mountain road. We had the road to ourselves on yet another glorious Arizona morning. As we neared the top the views were spectacular...


I set Louise up at Reef Townsite campground and started the Old Sawmill Trail in search (yet again) of Red Crossbill! The trail was steep and the temp was increasing so I admit it was a feeble effort but I did have the consolation of a smart Spotted Towhee through the bushes...


there were also plenty of Yellow-eyed Juncos...


Generally though it was dis-appointing with nothing else of note seen.

We had lunch at Ramsey Vista Campground. It was now time to try the famous Comfort Spring Trail. This trail has produced many outstanding rarities over the years, including EARED QUETZAL, AZTEC THRUSH (I saw 4 in Madera Canyon in 2005) and SLATE-THROATED REDSTART. As always I always I was hoping it would be my lucky day! It's only a short but steep half-mile drop to the picturesque stream...


Nothing was seen on the way down, granted it was 2pm. The cover around the stream was much appreciated making things somewhat cooler. It was then that I heard a hooting? Two female birders were talking just the other side of the stream. They were obviously trying to locate the source of the noise. I joined them. I mentioned I'd seen a Northern Pygmy Owl in this area in broad daylight in 2005.

The hooting continued. It was close but the coverage was thick and tall. I then spotted a pigeon/dove at the top of a tall tree. It started...hooting!!!

Sibley describes it as..."a deep, somewhat hoarse, owl like hooting hu-whoo, hu-hoo. That solves that mystery then. You learn something new every day. It was still a great find as Band-tailed Pigeon is listed as  "uncommon" in S.E. Arizona.

Here it is...


I then heard another familiar sound...Thunder!

Time to return to the car I thought. Not ideal to be at high altitude with lightening imminent. Time to make the journey back.


No comments: