Monday 7 September 2015

S.E.Arizona (7)

Monday 27th July

I decided to try again for Rufous-capped warbler, this time along Florida Canyon. Louise had a lie in which gave me the whole morning, which I was going to need with my rate of progress! So, up at 5.30 and away. I'd looked for Harris's Hawk around our Motel (which is slap bang in the middle of prime desert habitat) on a few occassions. Richard had seen it within a mile. As I made my way to I19 I noticed a bird perched on a "Cherch" (that's Lancs for Church) in the early morning light. I did a U-turn and I'm glad I did...


Using the car as a hide I managed to get closer. I have to say I knew what it was and was amazed I'd spotted it first thing...I'm NOT a morning person!


I'll make the next part brief. My walk up the Canyon produced very little with no sign of RCW...again! I did enjoyed watching a pair of Blue Grosbeaks by the stream...



male


female
I also saw a Bell's Vireo briefly but couldn't get a snap. As I left the area the wonderful Varied Bunting was on his usual perch but the sun was behind him...


Further down the road was this superb American Kestrel...



..and at last I managed to get a decent picture of the elusive and fast moving Roadrunner...

Beep Beep
Next...our day on Mount Lemmon.

No comments: