Monday 6 July 2015

The BIG trip is looming - SOUTH EAST ARIZONA

We leave on the 16th for 17 days.

After a crazy Spring (that's the last time I'll say that) I've been left VERY short of planning time. No matter. This trip is all about relaxation and enjoyment. I do have some target birds (surprise , surprise) and I do intend to try hard to add these birds to my ABA list in my quest for 700.

BUFF-COLLARED NIGHTJAR
WHISKERED SCREECH OWL
MEXICAN WHIP-POOR-WILL
ROSY-FACED LOVEBIRD
RED CROSSBILL - my nemesis
PACIFIC WREN
SINOLA WREN
TUFTED FLYCATCHER
PLAIN-CAPPED STARTHROAT
NUTTING’S FLYCATCHER

I will also chase new birds that turn up within this time window BUT it will be done reasonably leisurely? Last time I went

I also intend to post highlights on here from time to time to give a flavour of the birds of the region. It really is a top area for birds.

A few more thoughts on the LITTLE BITTERN saga. Reflecting on the twists and turns of the last few days it occurred to me how important these remaining gems are as I advance in years. Trying to connect with this very elusive bird which was a good 2 hours away and fit in the necessaries was a BIG challenge. There are so many variables and it's not for the faint hearted. Good fun though and ultimately VERY satisfying.

Missing birds whilst out of the country is disappointing but obviously unavoidable...unless of course I stay here all year...which isn't going to happen. I'm increasing my chances these days by not going abroad during April/May and September /October. I did so in the past because the birding in the States is sensational during the migration periods.

However I've decided to prioritise my British/Yorkshire lists as much as possible with this strategy. I still feel I can add to my ABA total by visiting the States during other months as I'm doing next week.

Better start fine tuning the plan...


No comments: