Thursday 4 December 2014

Back to the old stomping ground

I decided to pay my first visit of the winter today. I'd been thinking about it for a while but as I had to go to Hull anyway I just carried on!

Arrived around 12.30 and parked by Bubwith bridge for lunch. A quick scan over the flood revealed a decent number of Swans in the distance...

WHOOPERS!


I decided to walk north along the river below the floodbank and try to keep my friend out of sight as well! Many people walk there dogs here but I was hoping not to disturb the herd (not keen on the collective).

I love this spot. I first came here in the winter of 1986 when I lived south of the river in Scunthorpe. There were triple digit numbers of both yellow-billed swans here then. how times have changed...sadly. Bewick's Swan is now a rarity in Yorkshire and numbers have crashed alarmingly elsewhere...more here.

On a more positive note I find it inspiring and uplifting that some of these magnificent birds return here every winter to feed and graze in this natural habitat. Long may they do so...as they have always done.

When I reckoned I was level with the group I popped my head over the bank and rattled off a few pics...

A group of adults...


A family with SIX young...


Another mixed group...


A mixed scene...


Excellent numbers of Lapwings were also present. I estimated around 800.


Distant view before I left for North Duffield...


As I opened the door to the Geoff Smith hide I was greeted with carpeted seats no less! Nothing so refined when I used to sit there. I have been watching since 1986...not constantly! I had a wonderful hour enjoying my favourite view...

Whoopers commuting from Bubwith
They all ended up on Duff! I was very lucky to see them closer on Bubwith. I then picked up the unusual sight of a distant pair of raptors on the fenceposts. 
Sparrowhawk and Buzzard
Great to go back...and go back I will...many times.

1 comment:

Barry Bishop said...

Welcome home!!

Looking forward to seeing you on your patch soon, perhaps during the Xmas hols.