Friday 14 November 2014

Deep South (3)

So, a great start. Being greedy I charmed? Louise into a trip to Fort Myers. Nothing to do with the Eurasian Wigeon that had been present in the area for quite a while. Always questions over vagrant wildfowl BUT this bird had been accepted by the Florida boys...so it was good enough for me!

The good news for Louise was that I found it straight away...you've gotta love eBird...

ABA 663
I'd booked us into the Best Western at Fort Myers for a few days. Again, nothing to do with it's proximity to Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island. A truly marvellous place AND my best chance for my No 1 target bird MANGROVE CUCKOO. I hasten to add that even here it was going to be a tough ask.

The island is a millionaire's playground but deep within it is an extensive mangrove swamp with an accessible wildlife drive. I spent three early mornings there but I couldn't drag one out of the mangroves. Again, unsurprisingly very hot and humid but I enjoyed the challenge. There was also plenty to admire...

Reddish Egret
The gigantic White Pelican...


Yellow-crowned Night Heron...


No luck with the main target but I had other plans for this bird later on the trip. Time to head north now to try a long shot for a long overdue species...

No comments: