Wednesday 15 October 2014

ISABELLINE SHRIKE!

Convenience store or Hypermarket? I'm afraid I weakened and by 2 I was heading for Spurn. What swung it was the Hoopoe which was seen again late yesterday. As I approached Long Bank I could see a few birders running around like headless chickens...somethings afoot I thought! Turns out they'd found an ISABELLINE SHRIKE! (P.156, S.116)

Being in situ before the throng arrived allowed me to position myself on the bank to obtain a few pics...


An excellent find by Steve Lawton and his pal. I'd seen him at various sites over the years but this was the first time I'd spoke to him. We had a good chat and he told me he'd been on the same ferry as me returning from the RUBYTHROAT twitch. He'd also shared a car with Simon Slade who I twitched the CAPE MAY with! This twitching world is a small one. Steve must be OK...he's got a German Shepherd!

A couple more...


Not great this one BUT it does show the russet forehead and tail...


Still plenty of tired migrants around. Goldcrests seen in every conceivable habitat including lawns!


On the Beach edge...


Great birds...full of character.

Oh Dear...

SIBERIAN THRUSH, SHETLAND!!!

Not again...and definitely NOT for me. I must admit my Scilly defence is looking decidedly brittle at the moment. It's not surprising however that with more observer coverage and netting that Siberian birds are being discovered at this high latitude. Just got a text of young gun Chris Bromley asking me if I want a place on a charter from York tomorrow. Really appreciate him giving me the heads up...which I unfortunately can't take this time. I told them...don't gobble 'em all up to quickly...you'll have to take up fishing/golf/tiddlywinks by the time you're 30 chaps! I'll add this one to my retirement list...if I get there...

Massive rarity BUT I have to admit, it's a pretty dull uninspiring individual. I'm only jealous!

No comments: