Sunday 28 September 2014

Seconds!

Spent the whole morning mooching around the village for little reward. Highlight was a large mixed tit flock on the clifftop c50 birds which included a Chiffchaff and double figure Long-tailed Tits.


I checked the cliffs...

perfect for a Lancy?
...and the bushes...


What about those isolated sycamores?

ala South Gare!
Alas not today.

Granted, not classic conditions.

A distant sparrowhawk shot through...


I managed to pick a couple of Sandwich Terns out of the Gulls on the beach...


After lunch I decided to take another look at the Star down the road. It had been reported as showing closer today. I parked in the Bluebell car park and made the short walk up Beacon lane. I joined the small crowd of admirers and it showed well at about 50 yds...


A bit closer...


SWAINSON'S THRUSH on Unst, Shetland. I need that...as they say BUT I won't be going. Working the next three days and even then I won't be tempted. It's one of those species that will come eventually and at a more accessible location...hopefully Scilly next month! It would have to be something very special to tempt me to make my second visit. Probably another American Wood Warbler although the CAPE MAY will take some beating. On reflection, I'm so glad I decided to go for this bird last Autumn.

No comments: