Friday 19 September 2014

Day 2

Started at the With' fishing pond, slightly later then intended as I didn't set my phone alarm correctly! Got there at 7.30. The first person I saw was Bob Mann walking his lovely female Akita. After having a chat I settled down and waited till 9. Nothing.

I returned to Holmpton and did the rounds but again nothing of note. Back to the house for a power nap!

Midday now and a text came in from Phil informing me that Tim Isherwood had rung him telling him there was a Red-breasted Flycatcher at Tunstall. You may remember that I'd tagged this village onto my elastic Patch boundary due to the scrape that exists here. So off I went.

Phil was already there with three birders from Hornsea and the bird was showing well, if fairly distantly through the gloom...

R.B.Fly (P.142) Great pose
Now then, where's that little gem? Tim Isherwood turned up and soon we were all enjoying brief but clear views...

well, not initially
Firecrest eventually (P.142)
A Spotted Flycatcher also performed typically well...


...and a couple of Grey Wagtails (P.143) flew by.

Gary Taylor turned up and told us about the number of birds that had turned up offshore in the past week. Interesting stuff. He also told us there was a Little Stint on the flash over th'ill. We decided to go and have a peep (sorry). Plenty of Dunlin but we couldn't locate the Stint. My first Stonechat (P.144) of the year was a nice bonus though...


We made our way back and Phil decided he'd had enough. I decided to hang around for a while just enjoying the fact that there were birds present!  

It paid off in spades as I obtained much better views despite the very gloomy conditions...

a definite male


Firecrests blow Yellow-broweds and Pallas's out of the water IMHO. A jewel of a bird.

The R.B.Fly also performed well acting more like a warbler than a flycatcher...


Whilst sitting in the car waiting for the birds to perform I noticed a movement at the back of the bushes. I pointed and shot...

Sparrowhawk!

Impressed with the cameras ability to take this photo through the branches. Handy for birding!

Just one more through the bushes of the Spot' Fly'...

streamline
A great session. Just wish I could have one in Holmpton. Maybe tomorrow?

No comments: